Your hair is a defining feature that can add personality and uniqueness to your whole appearance. Really understanding your hair type is the first step towards adopting a personalised hair care routine that brings out the very best in your locks. In this blog we will explore the various hair types, their characteristics and the best ways to care for each one, helping you to embrace and love your hair just the way it is.
- Characteristics: Straight hair is smooth and lacks significant curl or wave patterns. It tends to be shiny and reflects light easily.
- Care-Tips: Straight hair is prone to becoming oily, so be cautious of heavy products that could weigh it down. Use volumizing shampoos and lightweight conditioners to maintain your body to avoid excessive buildup.
- Styling: Straight hair is versatile and holds styles well. Experiment with different hair cuts, from the classic bob to long layers and try various tools for a whole range of looks.
- Characteristics: Wavy hair falls between straight and curly hair, forming ‘S’ or ‘C’ shapes. It tends to be thicker than straight hair but not quite as coiled as curly hair.
- Care Tips: Wavy hair can be prone to frizz and dryness. Use moisturising shampoos and conditioners to keep it hydrated. Consider using a diffuser when blow-drying to enhance your natural waves.
- Styling: Embrace natural waves or use curling products to help enhance them further. Opt for loose, beachy waves or define your curls with a curling wand.
- Characteristics: Curly hair has a distinct curl pattern, ranging from loose curls to tight coils. It can be prone to frizz and tends to be dryer than straight or wavy hair.
- Care Tips: Curly hair requires ample moisture to maintain its shape and prevent frizz. Use a sulphate free shampoo and deep conditioning treatments regularly. Consider a satin pillowcase to reduce friction and preserve curls while sleeping.
- Styling: Embrace your curls and use products designed for curly hair, like leave-in conditioners or curl creams.
- Characteristics: Coily or kinky hair has tight, spring-like curls or coils. It is the most delicate hair-type and prone to dryness and breakage.
- Care-Tips: Coily hair requires maximum moisture and retention. Regularly deep condition and moisturise with natural oils like coconut oil or shea butter. Avoid excessive heat styling to prevent damage.
- Styling: Embrace your natural texture and use products designed for coily hair, like leave-in conditioners with oil-defining gels. Protective styles like twists, braids and updos can help promote growth and protect your hair.